Dry brushing is a self care habit that, drumroll please…consists of brushing your skin when it is dry. I know, that sounds super obvious. A dry brush has firm bristles which brush the top layer of skin to stimulate cells and remove dead tissue, among other things. Dry brushing can significantly help with the vitality and overall health of the largest human organ – the skin.
Why do it – 5 benefits to convince you this is a must-have habit
- Bye-bye bacne | Dry bushing can help to unclog the skin and excrete toxins, which may aid in the prevention of acne on the skin as dirt and oil cannot build to cause breakouts.
- Farewell flaky skin | The removal of dead skin and exfoliation of the skin leaves a fresh coat of glowing skin following dry brushing. Regular dry brushing can keep the skin looking and feeling fresh.
- Au revoir varicose veins | Dry brushing has been seen to improve lymphatic drainage and vascular circulation. This helps to enhance the immune function as the lymphatic system is optimized and may reduce soreness and swelling in the legs, which is especially helpful when you are in a career on your feet all day. While this won’t cure varicose veins, the improvement in circulation seen with dry brushing can significantly reduce the risk of developing them.
- See ya cellulite | Many people note a reduction in the appearance of cellulite with regular dry brushing. This is because drybrushing can help with even fat distribution in the tissue just below the skin so that fat does not pucker under the skin as seen with cellulite.
- Hello new skin | Dry brushing stimulates the skin’s nerve endings refreshing the nervous system and stimulating new cell growth.
Before showering, on dry skin, use a dry brush to brush the skin starting at the lower extremities. Use brush strokes in a circular motion or unidirectional working your way towards the heart. Continue in this manner starting most distally from the heart, always with consistent brush strokes towards the direction of the heart. Use more gentle brush strokes on more sensitive areas and press more firmly when possible. It may take time to get used to the feeling of the brush so feel free to ease into it. It is important to note dry brushing should never cause the skin to break open and this indicates the pressure you are using may be too much for the skin. The brushing should tingle and may feel uncomfortable at first but take your time and allow your body to get used to it.
- Repeat daily or twice daily for optimal results.
- Brush just before showering and moisturize with an all natural lotion or oil afterwards.
- After dry brushing, your pores are wide open so shower using natural soaps with vitamin infusions or essential oils to really soak in the benefits. Also, try alternating cold and hot water to increase blood flow to the skin and nourish your skin completely naturally.
- Set a timer for five minutes to allow yourself appropriate time to brush enough without feeling you’re overdoing it.
- Always brush skin towards the heart and start most distally, working your way inward.
- Brush the stomach in a counterclockwise direction to move with digestion.
- Don’t forget your pits and your face!
Personal thoughts & review
Within one week, I noticed a difference in the texture and freshness of my skin. Naturally, I had little bumps on the back of my arms which were completely gone after just a week of brushing. I was surprised and pleased with how well my arms and legs felt in terms of texture after this time. I have some cellulite on my thighs leading to my bottom which I may have seen a slight improvement in over this time? I think with continued brushing, this would even further improve but I did notice it looked a bit different. Overall, I would totally recommend drybrushing to anyone looking to care for their skin a little better or looking for improvement in any of these things. Just this little bit of time to take for yourself is a great self-care habit to show yourself a little love and feel great about yourself! Take this time to just love your body and be in touch with yourself. Also, this is super great in the morning because of the tingly feeling to wake you up and make you feel refreshed to start the day!